Confirmation is the beginning of the spiritual journey to adult membership for our youth in the Episcopal Church. At St. David’s, it is a time marked by deep exploration of the faith and how they can personally live into the mission of the church. The Confirmation journey consists of four components: Instruction, Mentoring, Worship, and Outreach. This year a new curriculum is being implemented, called Confirm, not Conform. Parents will have opportunity to learn about this curriculum at the Wine and Cheese Event on September 15.
- Instruction – After the 9:15 a.m. worship service in the Undercroft
- Worship – Confirmands will attend worship and participate in designated services on November 27, 2019 and February 23, 2020.
- Confirmands will meet with one of St. David’s clergy at the end of their confirmation journey to share their experience.
- Outreach – Confirmands will have the opportunity to work cooperatively on local outreach projects over the course of the year.
- Mentors – Each student will be given a mentor to be his/her companion for the journey. Mentors will be active members of St. David’s. Families will be contacted in August for suggestions of possible mentors, and those preferences will be taken into consideration when assignments are made.
If you would like to register your child(ren) for Confirmation, please read each question carefully and fill out the form below.
2019-2020 Confirmation Schedule
September 15 Parents / Mentor Wine and Cheese Night
September 21-22 Confirmation Overnight Retreat at St. David’s
September 29 Fair Set up project
October 6 Class — Introduction to Confirm not Conform
October 13 St. James Outreach Project
October 20 Class – Where Do You Stand? Meet Your Mentor
October 28 Class—Time with Mentors
November 3 Class—Heretics R Us
November 10 Class – Scripture: A Mad Dash
November 17 Worship Participation
November 24 Class—Teach Us To Pray: The Lord’s Prayer
December 1* Advent Wreath Making
December 8* Christmas Around the World
December 15* Christmas Pageant
December 22* Christmas Eve
December 29* No Class
January 5* No formal class
Christmas Tree Burn at 6 p.m.
January 12 Class – Tradition: The Nicene Creed
January 19 Class – Tradition: Church History Cont’d
January 20 MLK Day of Service
January 26 Field Trip to Our Cathedral
February 2 Class—Faith In Action: How We Can Help
February 9 Class – Scripture: The Bible By Heart
February 16* No formal class
February 23 Worship Participation
March 1 Class—Teach Us to Pray: The Book of Common Prayer
March 8 Class – Teach Us to Pray: The Sacraments
March 15 St. James Outreach Project
March 22 Class – Tradition: The Church Through the Year
March 29 Class—Tradition: The Ministry of the Baptized
April 5* Palm Sunday
April 12* Easter Sunday
April 19 Class—World Council of Religions
April 25 (Saturday) Synagogue Field Trip (no class on Sunday)
May 3 Class – WHere do you stand? The Power To Choose
May 10 Class—Where do you stand? Where Do You Go From Here?
May 16 Confirmation Vigil – 6 p.m.
May 17 Confirmation Sunday – 11:15 a.m.
Things to Note:
- Class will be in the Undercroft
- Worship on Class Sundays with family is expected
- Worship Participation means taking roles in the services – readers, acolytes, ushers, etc.
- Attendance for Outreach Projects is expected: Fair Set-up, The Fair, St. James School, Making Casseroles for St. John’s Feeding Program, and St. Mary’s Food Pantry in Chester
- Field Trip for Students and Parents and/or Mentors to have a different worship experience
- Alternative Worship: Each Student will be required to attend one worship service in the Church at 5 pm or the Taize Service or Evensong or Participate in the Stations of the Cross during Lent
Staff Contact: Sarah Champlin | email@example.com | x220